With the first weeks of autumn already putting a chill in the air, thoughts are turning toward how to stay warm for the winter. To learn more about how you can prepare your home and your family for winter, Woodinville’s annual Winter Safety Fair is Saturday, Oct. 29, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The fair, jointly sponsored by the and , will be held at Woodinville Fire District Station 31, at 17718 Woodinville-Snohomish Road, next to the Woodinville Post Office. The fair will feature information booths, demonstrations on different safety topics, activities for kids, and a free pancake breakfast. Contact Woodinville Fire & Rescue at 425-483-2131 for more information.
Puget Sound Energy has a check list encouraging people to take time now to get their homes ready for cooler temperatures to manage energy costs and be comfortable and safe this winter.
PSE offers a checklist of simple fall preparation and safety tips:
- Seal gaps around doors and windows by adding weather stripping or caulk to keep heat from escaping.
- Add insulation to attics, walls, ducts and floors. PSE offers up to $1,400 in insulation rebates.
- Have the furnace inspected and serviced to make sure it is in good working order.
- Change or clean furnace filters monthly during the heating season.
- Make sure the area around the furnace and water heater is clear of all flammable materials such as rags, cardboard boxes, solvents and paint thinners.
- Repair or replace damaged heating ducts.
- Keep all heating vents open and unblocked by furniture or other items.
- Look up before doing any outdoor overhead work, like cleaning gutters, pruning trees or working with ladders, to avoid power lines. Maintain a minimum of 15 feet of clearance from overhead power lines.
- Don’t let anyone climb a utility pole or green electric transformer cabinet. If a pet is stranded on a utility pole or if a ball or toy goes into a power substation, don’t go after them.
To report a furnace problem call PSE at 1-888-225-5773. Visit PSE.com for additional preparation and safety tips as well as information about heating rebates.