.

Tuesday Last Day to Comment on King County’s Redistricting Proposal

The proposed plan will separate the City of Woodinville and unincorporated Woodinville into different county council districts.

The last chance for the public to comment on redistricting plan that splits greater Woodinville into three county council districts is Tuesday, Nov. 1.

The proposed plan moves 73 percent of the city’s population into King County Council District 1, represented by Councilmember Bob Ferguson. The remaining 27 percent in the southern part of the city will move to District 6, represented by Councilmember Jane Hague. Unincorporated Woodinville will remain in District 3, represented by Councilmember Kathy Lambert.

By law, council district boundaries must be redrawn after each U.S. Census to make each district as nearly equal in population as possible. The target population for each 2011 Council district is 214,583. All districts in the proposed plan are within one-quarter of one percent of the target, according to the county’s website.  

“Under the law, the new district boundaries must be compact, contiguous, and composed of economic and geographic units. To the extent feasible, the districts must correspond with the boundaries of existing municipalities, election precincts, census tracts, recognized natural boundaries, and preserve communities of related and mutual interest. Population data may not be used for purposes of favoring or disfavoring any racial group or political party. A final plan must be approved by January 15, 2012,” according to the county.

The County Charter places sole responsibility for redistricting with the independent, citizen Districting Committee. Four members were appointed by the King County Council in January: Rod Dembowski, John Jensen, Sally Nelson, and Sally Poliak.  

The last chance for the public to comment on the plan is at a public hearing on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 6:30 p.m., in the County Council chambers on the 10th floor of the county courthouse at 516 Third Ave. in Seattle.

You can also comment online via the committee’s website athttp://www.kingcounty.gov/operations/districting/testimony.aspx, but comments are due by Tuesday, Nov. 1.

Details about the plan can be found on the committee’s website:http://www.kingcounty.gov/operations/districting.aspx.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »